Makes 4 Servings
Give your classic childhood macaroni and cheese an adult makeover.
1. Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp towel, and slice thin.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms to melted butter in pan, and add ¼ cup of beer.
4. Simmer for 5-8 minutes until all of the butter and beer has been absorbed by the mushrooms.
5. Season with of kosher salt and ground black pepper. Then transfer to a bowl and set aside.
6. Prepare the pasta noodles in a separate saucepan as per the instructions on the packaging.
7. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same pan you cooked the mushrooms in.
8. Gradually whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour. Keep whisking until you form a thick roux.
9. As you whisk, add the milk. Bring the milk to a boil, and continue whisking until the roux has fully dissolved, and the sauce is thick.
10. Slowly whisk in a 1/2 cup of beer.
11. Keep the sauce on simmer, until it has thickened in consistency, as it was before you added the beer.
12. Add the shredded Jarlsberg® cheese and stir until the cheese melts. Gradually add in more milk (if you’d like), until your sauce reaches your preferred consistency.
13. Season with kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste.
14. Add in the mushrooms to the cheese sauce and stir.
15. Meanwhile, drain the pasta in a colander – be sure not to rinse it!
16. Pour the pasta into your cheese sauce and stir to coat fully.
17. If you like your mac and cheese a little crispy, transfer your dish into the oven, and place it under a broiler (on high) for a few minutes. Be sure to watch it, so it doesn’t burn.
18. Garnish with chopped parsley and shaved truffle mushrooms, if desired, and serve!