It’s officially the middle of the summer, which means two things: vacation time and beach season. Besides the ultimate relaxation we get to experience during this time of year (don’t you wish it could just last forever?), one of the best parts of summer is trying out new food, new restaurants, and new recipes.
But not all recipes fare well in the heat of the summer sun or are easy to eat on the go. So we’ve got a few recipes that are ideal for packing in a small cooler and bringing with you on a hot, sunny summer day – and are a little more special than those PB&J’s you might have been thinking of taking with you. Wherever you’re headed and whatever you’re doing this July and August, make sure you’re fully prepared to pack these snacks to keep you satisfied all day long.
Corn Muffins filled with Jarlsberg® and Pesto
Versatile, gourmet, and easy to pack! Bring them with you on a long hike, or for a romantic picnic at the park.
- 2 eggs
- 2 dl milk
- 1/2 dl plain flour
- 3 dl cornmeal
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of white pepper
- 4 tbsp softened butter
- 100 g Jarlsberg® cheese
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pack of fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 dl walnuts
- 1/2 dl cashew nuts
- Salt and pepper
Makes 4 Servings
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 °C. Whisk together the milk and eggs.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and butter. Add the liquid and stir. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases. If possible, use stiff paper cups, so the muffins stand up better.
- Cut the cheese into cubes and press them down into the mixture. Bake in the center of the oven for about 15 minutes. This cornbread can also be baked in a large round baking tin, about 20 cm in diameter.
- Combine the ingredients for the nut pesto in a blender or using a hand blender. Pulse or blend until coarsely chopped. Serve the corn muffins with extra Jarlsberg® cheese, nut pesto and thin slices of cured ham, if desired.
- For this recipe, you can use Jarlsberg® Original, Lite or Special Reserve.
Kale & Romaine Caesar Salad Jarlsberg® Folios Cheese Wraps
Wraps are the perfect way to keep the sand from the beach out, and these folios are gluten-free, lactose-free, and keto-friendly crowd-pleasers by themselves!
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoons heavy cream or lactose-free substitute like 1/2 Tablespoon plain milk substitute & 1/2 Tablespoon canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bunch Lacinato kale, also known as dinosaur kale
- 1 heart Romaine lettuce
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- Small, gluten-free croutons (optional)
- Jarlsberg® Folios Cheese Wraps
Makes 2 Servings
- Make the dressing by whisking the first five ingredients. Whisk in heavy cream (or lactose-free substitute) and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Wash and dry kale and lettuce and chop thinly. Combine with bell pepper, dressing, and breadcrumbs.
- Allow the Folios to come to room temperature for a couple of minutes before adding a mound of salad across the middle. Wrap carefully and use the included wax paper to keep it tight to prevent the wrap from drying out.
- You may make these a few hours in advance by keeping them in the refrigerator wrapped in wax paper and placing them in a resealable plastic bag or a container with a tight lid.